If a candidate wants to make a career in the medical field they should know about the NEET exam because this exam is a gateway to medical courses at many renowned medical universities and institutes. We have given a complete detail of the NEET exam on this page kindly go through it t know more.
What is NEET Exam?
NEET which stands for National Eligibility cum Entrance Test is held nationwide by National Testing Authority for admission to medical courses MBBS, BDS, BAMS, BSMS, BUMS, BHMS and Nursing. National Testing Authority ensures transparency, efficiency and international standardisation in the NEET exam so the right candidate can join the best institution.
National Testing Authority provides the All India Ranking to the candidates who appear in the exam, this ranking is according to the performance of the candidate in the exam. Admitting authorities of the institutions keep the counselling session for the admission process where they invite the candidate having All India ranking of NEET exam and according to the ranking admission is finalised.
By appearing in the NEET exam a candidate will be eligible to get admission to the following institutions:
- AIIMS: AIIMS which is the All India Institute of Medical Science is a government university for medical education. AIIMS has been declared an Institutes of National Importance. AIIMS is a group of 25 institutes which is spread all across the country. The best part of getting admission to AIIMS for study is its quality of education and the fees of education. As compared to other medical institutions the fees of AIIMS for medical education are very less.
- JIPMER: Jawahar Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research is situated in Puducherry and extended into 192 acres of area. The campus comprises seven hospital blocks and many types of medical, nursing and allied health science courses. JIPMER is one of the top-ranking medical colleges in the country. This institute intakes around 150 candidates for its UG MBBS course in Puducherry. JIPMER has its second campus at Karaikal which started operating in 2016. This campus has an intake of 62 candidates per year for its MBBS course.
- Medical colleges which are associated with Delhi University (Lady Hardinge Medical College, Maulana Azad Medical College, University College of Medical Sciences)
- Medical colleges which are associated with Guru Govind Singh Indraprasth University, (Dr. Baba Sahib Ambedkar Medical College and Hospital, ESIC Dental College and Hospital, NDMC Medical College, Delhi, Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), New Delhi
- BHU Medical College
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- And the medical colleges of deemed University which are conducted by the Directorate General of Health Services.
NEET Exam Eligibility :
At the time of admission to the Medical course, a candidate must have completed the age of 17 years. National Medical Commission has suggested that there should not be an upper age limit for admission to the Medical course, so as of now, there is no upper age limit for admission to the medical course.
A candidate who has passed the class 12th exam or is appearing in the class 12th examination can also apply for the NEET exam but at the time of admission, they must produce the result of class 12 th.
The general candidate must have obtained a minimum of 50 % aggregate marks in Physics. Chemistry, Biology. For others, this minimum aggregate percentage criteria is 40%.
How to Apply for NEET Exam?
A candidate has to apply for the NEET exam on the official website of NEET.
A candidate has to fill in all the necessary information correctly like the candidate’s name, father’s name, mother’s name, date of birth, details of ID card, address etc. While filling out information candidate should take care of the spellings.
Candidates have to choose the four preferred cities for the exam. Candidates will also have to upload the scanned photograph and signature according to the prescribed format.
The Application Fee for the NEET exam is as follows:
General candidate: Rs. 1600/-
EWS/OBC: Rs. 1500/-
SC/ST/PwBD/Transgender: Rs. 900/-
Candidates have to pay the online fee according to their category. After successful submission provisional admit card is issued to the candidate.
NEET Exam Pattern and NEET Exam Syllabus?
The NEET exam will be conducted as a Pen & Paper based mode. Candidates will be provided with an OMR sheet on which they have to select the options using a ball pen.
The pattern of the NEET exam is designed in such a way that it consists of 4 subjects (Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology) and each subject is divided into 2 sections, Section A and Section B.
Section A contains 35 questions and each question is for 4 marks. The candidate will be awarded 4 marks if they select the right option and for wring, option 1 mark will be deducted from the total marks. Total marks in Section A in 140.
Section B contains 15 questions and candidates have to solve only 10 questions. If they solve more than 10 questions, the first 10 questions will be considered for marking. The marks for each question are 4 marks for the right option and a negative 1 mark for the selection of the wrong option.
The total time duration given to solve the paper is 3 hours and 20 minutes.
The detailed syllabus of the NEET exam will be available on the website of the National Medical Commission.
A candidate who wants admission to a medical course such as MBBS/BDS/BAMS/BSMS/BHMS.
Candidates can select question papers from 13 languages which are English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Odia, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, Punjabi.
Yes, of course, the NEET exam is one of the toughest entrance exams out there. The reason behind this is the obvious candidate who will be selected should be intelligent and the competition level is very high.
It’s very difficult to prepare for the NEET exam without coaching. Your competency level should be very high if you want admission to a good medical college.